Thursday, February 8, 2024

Wednesday, 5th Week of Ordinary Time

 Do any of you keep a food log or journal? I know I did for years. Since I have struggled with my weight most of my life, I used to record everything that I put in my mouth: what I ate for each of my meals, any snacks, and how much I drank. It was a help because it allow me to become more aware of not just how much I was eating but what I was eating.

In today’s gospel reading, Jesus is kind of encouraging us to do the reverse: instead of recording everything we are putting in our mouths, maybe we should become more aware of what is coming out of our mouths. Jesus gives us a list of vices to consider, “evil thoughts, unchastity, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, licentiousness, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, folly.” It is not just what we say with our mouths that Jesus says defiles us, but what is in our hearts. What is in our heart?

Who wants to be considered greedy? It is easy to say that one is not greedy, especially if we do not look at greed as greed. Do we spend a lot of time wishing for and talking about getting more money, a bigger house, a nicer car, a fancy vacation? If we do, we are being greedy, whether we like to think about it or not.

By naming this long list of vices, Jesus does us an incredible act of mercy. He rattles us and calls us to step back and look at sin for what it is. Jesus also makes it clear that when we live one or more of these vices, we become defiled. We become greedy, a liar, cruel, a gossip, hateful, arrogant, etc. Objectively speaking, no one wants this.

What is it in that list of vices that you struggle with the most? What do you see within your own heart? Be honest with yourself before God. Jesus desires that your heart be pure and holy, freed from these and every filth. But unless you are able to look at your own heart with honesty, it will be difficult to reject the sin with which you struggle.

Today reflect upon this list of sins identified by our Lord. Consider each one and allow yourself to see each sin for what it truly is. Allow yourself to despise these sins with a holy wrath and then turn your eyes to that sin with which you struggle the most. Know that as you consciously see that sin and reject it, our Lord will begin to strengthen you and purify your heart so that you become freed from that defilement and become, instead, the beautiful child of God you were made to be. As today’s psalmist exclaims, “Commit to the LORD your way; trust in Him and He will act.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 4th Sunday of Easter

     This weekend is often called “Good Shepherd Sunday” because of today’s Gospel reading. However, I think we could also call this “Scanda...